Mandibular reconstruction using customized three-dimensional titanium implant
Mandibular defects lead to severe deformation and functional deficiency. Vascularized osteocutaneous tissue has been widely used to reconstruct the mandible. However, it is technically challenging to shape this type of grafts in such a manner that they resemble the configuration of the mandible. A 48-year-old female patient who underwent anterolateral thigh (ALT) flap coverage after a tongue cancer excision was diagnosed with a tumor recurrence during the follow-up. A wide excision mandibulectomy and mandibular reconstruction with an ALT flap and a titanium implant were performed. The prefabricated titanium implant was fixed to the condyle. Then, an ALT flap was harvested from the ipsilateral thigh and anastomosed. After confirming that the circulation of the flap was intact, the implant was fixed to the parasymphysis. On the radiograph taken after the surgery, the prosthesis was well positioned and overall facial shape was acceptable. There was no postoperative complication during the follow-up period, 1 year and 2 months. The prefabricated implant allows the restoration of facial symmetry without harvesting autologous bone and it is a safe and effective surgical option for mandibular reconstruction.
- Singare S, Dichen L, Bingheng L, Yanpu L, Zhenyu G, Yaxiong L. Design and fabrication of custom mandible titanium tray based on rapid prototyping. Med Eng Phys 2004;26:671-6.
- Cordeiro PG, Disa JJ, Hidalgo DA, Hu QY. Reconstruction of the mandible with osseous free flaps: a 10-year experience with 150 consecutive patients. Plast Reconstr Surg 1999;104:1314-20.
- Spencer KR, Sizeland A, Taylor GI, Wiesenfeld D. The use of titanium mandibular reconstruction plates in patients with oral cancer. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 1999;28:288-90.
- Qassemyar Q, Assouly N, Temam S, Kolb F. Use of a three-dimensional custom-made porous titanium prosthesis for mandibular body reconstruction. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2017;46:1248-51.
- Park EK, Lim JY, Yun IS, Kim JS, Woo SH, Kim DS, et al. Cranioplasty enhanced by three-dimensional printing: custom-made three-dimensional-printed titanium implants for skull defects. J Craniofac Surg 2016;27:943-9.
- Rachmiel A, Shilo D, Blanc O, Emodi O. Reconstruction of complex mandibular defects using integrated dental custom-made titanium implants. Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2017;55:425-7.
- Jo YY, Kim SG, Kim MK, Shin SH, Ahn J, Seok H. Mandibular reconstruction using a customized three-dimensional titanium implant applied on the lingual surface of the mandible. J Craniofac Surg 2018;29:415-9.
- Zheng GS, Su YX, Liao GQ, Chen ZF, Wang L, Jiao PF, et al. Mandible reconstruction assisted by preoperative virtual surgical simulation. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol 2012;113:604-11.
- Jewer DD, Boyd JB, Manktelow RT, Zuker RM, Rosen IB, Gullane PJ, et al. Orofacial and mandibular reconstruction with the iliac crest free flap: a review of 60 cases and a new method of classification. Plast Reconstr Surg 1989;84:391-403.
- Gullane PJ, Havas TE, Holmes HH. Mandibular reconstruction with metal plate and myocutaneous flap. Aust N Z J Surg 1986;56:701-6.
- Pogrel MA, Podlesh S, Anthony JP, Alexander J. A comparison of vascularized and nonvascularized bone grafts for reconstruction of man- dibular continuity defects. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 1997;55:1200-6.
- Hidalgo DA, Pusic AL. Free-flap mandibular reconstruction: a 10-year follow-up study. Plast Reconstr Surg 2002;110:438-49.
- Ndukwe KC, Aregbesola SB, Ikem IC, Ugboko VI, Adebiyi KE, Fatusi OA, et al. Reconstruction of mandibular defects using nonvascularized autogenous bone graft in Nigerians. Niger J Surg 2014;20:87-91.
- Hidalgo DA. Fibula free flap: a new method of mandible reconstruction. Plast Reconstr Surg 1989;84:71-9.
- Cohen A, Laviv A, Berman P, Nashef R, Abu-Tair J. Mandibular reconstruction using stereolithographic 3-dimensional printing modeling technology. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 2009;108:661-6.
- Irish JC, Gullane PJ, Gilbert RW, Brown DH, Birt BD, Boyd JB. Primary mandibular reconstruction with the titanium hollow screw reconstruction plate: evaluation of 51 cases. Plast Reconstr Surg 1995;96:93-9.
- Schoen PJ, Reintsema H, Raghoebar GM, Vissink A, Roodenburg JL. The use of implant retained mandibular prostheses in the oral rehabilitation of head and neck cancer patients: a review and rationale for treatment planning. Oral Oncol 2004;40:862-71.
- Ryu JK, Stern RL, Robinson MG, Bowers MK, Kubo HD, Donald PJ, et al. Mandibular reconstruction using a titanium plate: the impact of radiation therapy on plate preservation. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 1995;32:627-34.
저자의 다른 논문
- 2014 "Comparison of the Complications in Vertical Rectus Abdominis Musculocutaneous Flap with Non-Reconstructed Cases after Pelvic Exenteration" Archives of plastic surgery : APS 41 (6): 722~727
- 2014 "Comparison of Mechanical Stability between Fibular Free Flap Reconstruction versus Locking Mandibular Reconstruction Plate Fixation" Archives of craniofacial surgery : ACFS 15 (2): 75~81
- 2015 "Stabilizing Morbidity and Predicting the Aesthetic Results of Radial Forearm Free Flap Donor Sites" Archives of plastic surgery : APS 42 (6): 769~775
- 2015 "Nipple-Areola Complex Necrosis after Nipple-Sparing Mastectomy with Immediate Autologous Breast Reconstruction" Archives of plastic surgery : APS 42 (5): 601~607
- 2016 "Soft Tissue Reconstruction for Basaloid Squamous Cell Carcinoma on the Hemiface" Archives of plastic surgery : APS 43 (6): 615~618
- 2016 "Salivary Duct Carcinoma of the Deep Lobe of the Parotid Gland: A Rare Clinical Finding" Archives of plastic surgery : APS 43 (1): 107~110
- 2017 "Prognostic Factors of Orbital Fractures with Muscle Incarceration" Archives of plastic surgery : APS 44 (5): 407~412
- 원문이 없습니다.
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기