Evaluation of ST2 and NT-proBNP as cardiac biomarkers in dogs with heartworm disease
This study compared serum concentrations of suppression of tumorigenicity 2 (ST2) and N-terminal pro-B-type natriuretic peptide (NT-proBNP) between healthy and heartworm- infected dogs. Eighteen heartworm-infected dogs and five healthy dogs were included in the study. Dogs were diagnosed and categorized by history, clinical signs, and blood assay, thoracic radiography, echocardiography, and commercial ELISA kit results. Serum samples were sent to the IDEXX reference laboratory for NT-proBNP measurement. ST2 was examined by using a canine interleukin 33 receptor ELISA kit with the quantitative sandwich ELISA method. The severely infected group showed significant elevation of NT-proBNP concentration over those of the control (P=0.03) and mildly infected (P=0.04) group. There were no significant difference in ST2 concentrations among the three groups. The usefulness of NT-proBNP as a cardiac biomarker in dogs with severe heartworm disease was confirmed by the results of this study. Further investigations to assess ST2 as a cardiac biomarker are warranted.
- American heartworm society, 2014. Guidelines for the diagnosis, prevention and management of heartworm (Dirofilaria immitis) infection in dogs. http://www.heartwormsociety.org/images/pdf/2014-AHS-Canine-Guidelines.pdf.
- Atkinson AJ, Colburn WA, Degruttola VG, Demets DL, Downing GJ, Hoth DF, Oates JA, Peck CC, Schooley RT, Spilker BA, Woodcock J, Zeger SL. 2001. Biomarkers and surrogate endpoints: Preferred definitions and conceptual framework. Clin Pharmacol Ther 69: 89-95.
- Bayes-Genis A, Antonio M, Galan A, Sanz H, Urrutia A, Cabanes R, Cano L, Gonzalez B, Diez C, Pascual T, Elosua R, Lupon J. 2012. Combined use of highsensitivity ST2 and NTproBNP to improve the prediction of death in heart failure. Eur J Heart Fail 14: 32-38.
- Boswood A. 2009. Biomarkers in cardiovascular disease: Beyond natriuretic peptides. J Vet Cardiol 11: S23-S32.
- Braunwald E. 2008. Biomarkers in heart failure. N Engl J Med 358; 2148-2159.
- Carreton E, Cobera JA, Juste MC, Morchon R, Simon F, Montoya-Alonso JA. 2011. Dirofilaria immitis infection in dogs: Cardiopulmonary biomarker levels. Vet Parasitol 176: 313-316.
- Carreton E, Morchon R, Simon F, Juste MC, Mendez JC, Montoya-Alonso JA. 2014. Cardiopulmonary and in- flammatory biomarkers in the assessment of the severity of canine dirofilariasis. Vet Parasitol 206: 43-47.
- Di Sacco B, Vezzoni A. Clinical classification of heartworm disease for the purpose of adding objectivity to the assessment of therapeutic efficacy of adulticidal drugs in the field. 1992. In: Soll, M.D. (Ed.), Proceedings of the Heartworm Symposium'92. American Heartworm Society, Batavia, IL: 209-214.
- Ebisawa T, Ohta Y, Funayama M, Morita K, Uechi M. 2012. Clinical use of n-terminal pro-brain natriuretic peptide concentrations for assessing the severity and prognosis of myxomatous mitral valve disease in dogs. Intern J Appl Res Vet Med 10: 234-242.
- Ettinger SJ, Farace G, Forney SD, Frye M, Beardow A. 2012. Evaluation of plasma N-terminal pro-B-type natriuretic peptide concentrations in dogs with and without cardiac disease. J Am Vet Med Assoc 240: 171-180.
- Kelihan HB, Oyama MA, Reynolds CA, Stepien RL. 2009. Weekly variability of plasma and serum NT-proBNP measurements in normal dogs. J Vet Cardiol 11: S93-S97.
- Oyama MA, Fox PR, Rush JE, Rozanski EA, Lesser M. 2008. Clinical utility of serum N-terminal pro-B-type natriuretic peptide concentration for identifying cardiac disease in dogs and assessing disease severity. J Am Vet Med Assoc 232: 1496-1503.
- Piper S, Sherwood R, Amin-Youssef G, McDonagh T. 2016. Biologic variability of soluble ST2 in patients with stable chronic heart failure and implications for monitoring. Am J Cardiol 118: 95-98.
- Ruaux C, Scollan K, Suchodolski JS, Steiner JM, Sisson DD. 2015. Biologic variability in NT-proBNP and cardiac troponin-I in healthy dogs and dogs with mitral valve degeneration. Vet Clin Pathol 44: 420-430.
- Schmidt MK, Reynolds CA, Estrada AH, Prosek R, Maisenbacher HW, Sleeper MM, Oyama MA. 2009. Effect of azotemia on serum N-terminal proBNP concentration in dogs with normal cardiac function: a pilot study. J Vet Cardiol 11: S81-S86.
- Shah RV, Januzzi JL. 2010. ST2: a novel remodeling biomarker in acute and chronic heart failure. Curr Heart Fail Rep 7: 9-14.
- Song KH, Park JE, Lee DH, Lee SH, Shin HJ. 2010. Serological update and molecular characterization of Dirofilaria im- mitis in dogs, South Korea. Res Vet Sci 88: 467-469.
- Villacorta H, Maisel AS. 2016. Soluble ST2 testing: a promising biomarker in the management of heart failure. Arq Bras Cardiol 106: 145-152.
저자의 다른 논문
- 2017 "우심실 양분증 이환견에 대한 풍선확장술 시술 증례" 韓國家畜衛生學會誌 = Korean journal of veterinary service 40 (1): 67~70
- 2017 "Phenobarbital and zonisamide treatment of a cat with epilepsy of unknown cause" 韓國家畜衛生學會誌 = Korean journal of veterinary service 40 (2): 143~147
- 2017 "Balloon dilatation in a chow chow dog with Cor triatriatum dexter" 韓國家畜衛生學會誌 = Korean journal of veterinary service 40 (3): 215~217
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기