Identification of Salmonella spp. from porcine salmonellosis by matrix-assisted laser desorption ionization-time of flight mass spectrometry
A total of 41 Salmonella (S.) strains were isolated from pigs suffered with severe watery diarrhea and were tried to identify by both matrix-assisted laser desorption ionization-time of flight mass spectrometry (MALDI-TOF MS) and polymerase chain reaction (PCR) analysis. Fibrinous exudate and ulceration in the large intestine were prevalent in gross observation, and variable degrees of enteritis were observed in the histology of large intestines. Subsequent polymerase chain reaction (PCR) analyses demonstrated that 41 strains were identified as S. Typhimurium (39 strains), though 2 stains were failed to identify. Further identification was performed using both direct smear and protein extraction method by MALDI-TOF MS analyses. In terms of extraction methods, 100% (41/41) of isolates were identified to species level of S. spp. Whereas only 43.9% (18/41) were identified to species level using the direct method. These results thus suggest that rapid and accurate diagnosis of porcine salmonellosis can be guaranteed by MALDI-TOF MS combined with protein extraction method.
- Abubakar I, Irvine L, Aldus CF, Wyatt GM, Fordham R, Schelenz S, Shepstone L, Howe A, Peck M, Hunter PR. 2007. A systematic review of the clinical, public health and cost-effectiveness of rapid diagnostic tests for the detection and identification of bacterial intestinal pathogens in faeces and food. Health Technol Assess 11: 1-216.
- Anderson NW, Buchan BW, Riebe KM, Parsons LN, Gnacinski S, Ledeboer NA. 2012. Effects of solid-medium type on routine identification of bacterial isolates by use of matrix-assisted laser desorption ionization-time of flight mass spectrometry. J Clin Microbiol 50: 1008-1013.
- Baggesen DL, Wegener HC, Bager F, Stege H, Christensen J. 1996. Herd prevalence of Salmonella enterica infections in Danish slaughter pigs determined by microbiological testing. Prev Vet Med 26: 201-213.
- Brown CC, Baker DC and Barker IK. 2007. Alimentary system. pp. 193-199. In: Maxie MG(ed.). Jubb, Kennedy, and Palmer's Pathology of Domestic Animals Vol 2. 5th ed. Saunders Elsevier, Toronto.
- Chiu TH, Pang JC, Hwang WZ, Tsen HY. 2005. Development of PCR primers for the detection of Salmonella enterica serovar Choleraesuis based on the fliC gene. J Food Prot 68: 1575-1580.
- Emonet S, Shah HN, Cherkaoui A, Schrenzel J. 2010. Application and use of various mass spectrometry methods in clinical microbiology. Clin Microbiol Infect 16: 1604-1613.
- Griffith RW, Schwartz KJ, Meyerholz DK. 2006. Salmonella. pp. 739-754. In: Straw BE, Zimmermann JJ, D'Allaire S, Taylor DJ (eds), Diseases of Swine, 9th ed. Blackwell Publishing, Ames, USA.
- Hsieh SY, Tseng CL, Lee YS, Kuo AJ, Sun CF, Lin YH, Chen JK. 2008. Highly efficient classification and identification of human pathogenic bacteria by MALDI-TOF MS. Mol Cell Proteomics 7: 448-456.
- Kim HJ, Park SH, Kim HY. 2006. Comparison of Salmonella enterica serovar Typhimurium LT2 and non-LT2 Salmonella genomic sequences, and genotyping of salmonellae by using PCR. Appl Environ Microbiol 72: 6142-6151.
- Lay JO Jr. 2001. MALDI-TOF mass spectrometry of bacteria. Mass Spectrom Rev 20: 172-194.
- Mellmann A, Cloud J, Maier T, Keckevoet U, Ramminger I, Iwen P, Dunn J, Hall G, Wilson D, LaSala P, Kostrzewa M, Harmsen D. 2008. Evaluation of matrix-assisted laser desorption ionization-time-of-flight mass spectrometry in comparison to 16S rRNA gene sequencing for species identification of nonfermenting bacteria. J Clin Microbiol 46: 1946-1954.
- Saffert RT, Cunningham SA, Ihde SM, Jobe KE, Mandrekar J, Patel R. 2011. Comparison of Bruker Biotyper matrix-assisted laser desorption ionization-time of flight mass spectrometer to BD Phoenix automated microbiology system for identification of gram-negative bacilli. J Clin Microbiol 49: 887-892.
- Sauer S, Kliem M. 2010. Mass spectrometry tools for the classification and identification of bacteria. Nat Rev Microbiol 8: 74-82.
- Seng P, Drancourt M, Gouriet F, La Scola B, Fournier PE, Rolain JM, Raoult D. 2009. Ongoing revolution in bacteriology: routine identification of bacteria by matrix-assisted laser desorption ionization time-of-flight mass spectrometry. Clin Infect Dis 49: 543-551.
- Sohn JH, Jeon WJ, Lee YM, Kim SS. 2016. MALDI TOF MS for the identification of Salmonella spp. from swine. Korean J Vet Serv. 39: 247-251.
- Sparbier K, Weller U, Boogen C, Kostrzewa M. 2012. Rapid detection of Salmonella sp. by means of a combination of selective enrichment broth and MALDI-TOF MS. Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 31: 767-773.
- van Duijkeren E, Wannet WJ, Houwers DJ, van Pelt W. 2002. Serotype and phage type distribution of Salmonella strains isolated from humans, cattle, pigs, and chickens in the Netherlands from 1984 to 2001. J Clin Microbiol 40: 3980-3985.
- van Veen SQ, Claas EC, Kuijper EJ. 2010. High-throughput identification of bacteria and yeast by matrix-assisted laser desorption ionization-time of flight mass spectrometry in conventional medical microbiology laboratories. J Clin Microbiol 48: 900-907.
- Welker M, Moore ER. 2011. Applications of whole-cell matrix-assisted laser-desorption/ionization time-of-flight mass spectrometry in systematic microbiology. Syst Appl Microbiol 34: 2-11.
- Widjojoatmodjo MN, Fluit AC, Torensma R, Keller BH, Verhoef J. 1991. Evaluation of the magnetic immuno PCR assay for rapid detection of Salmonella. Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 10: 935-938.
- Wilcock BP, Armstrong CH, Olander HJ. 1976. The significance of the serotype in the clinical and pathological features of naturally occurring porcine salmonellosis. Can J Comp Med 40: 80-88.
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기