Seismic performance of a resilient low-damage base isolation system under combined vertical and horizontal excitations
Traditional base isolation systems focus on isolating the seismic response of a structure in the horizontal direction. However, in regions where the vertical earthquake excitation is significant (such as near-fault region), a traditional base-isolated building exhibits a significant vertical vibration. To eliminate this shortcoming, a rocking-isolated system named Telescopic Column (TC) is proposed in this paper. Detailed rocking and isolation mechanism of the TC system is presented. The seismic performance of the TC is compared with the traditional elastomeric bearing (EB) and friction pendulum (FP) base-isolated systems. A 4-storey reinforced concrete moment-resisting frame (RC-MRF) is selected as the reference superstructure. The seismic response of the reference superstructure in terms of column axial forces, base shears, floor accelerations, inter-storey drift ratios (IDR) and collapse margin ratios (CMRs) are evaluated using OpenSees. The results of the nonlinear dynamic analysis subjected to multi-directional earthquake excitations show that the superstructure equipped with the newly proposed TC is more resilient and exhibits a superior response with higher margin of safety against collapse when compared with the same superstructure with the traditional base-isolation (BI) system.
- ACI, (1989), Building Code Requirements for Structural Concrete (ACI 318) and Commentary, (ACI 318R-89), American Concrete Institute, Farmington Hills, Michigan.
- Alhan, C. and Ozgur, M. (2015), "Seismic responses of baseisolated buildings: efficacy of equivalent linear modeling under near-fault earthquakes", Smart Struct. Syst., 15(6), 1439-1461.
- Baker, J.W. (2007), "Quantitative classification of near-fault ground motions using wavelet analysis", B. Seismol. Soc. Am., 97(5), 1486-1501.
- Bouc, R. (1971), "A mathematical model for hysteresis", Acta Acustica united with Acustica, 24(1), 16-25.
- Casciati, F. and Faravelli, L. (1991), "Fragility analysis of complex structural systems", Research Studies Press.
- Casciati, F., Augusti, G. and Baratta, A. (2014), "Probabilistic methods in structural engineering", CRC Press.
- Chen, X., Yang, T.Y. and Shi, W. (2015), "Influence of isolation hysteresis on the seismic performance of isolated buildings", Struct. Control Health Monit., 22(4), 631-647.
- Clemente, P. and Martelli, A. (2018), "Seismically isolated buildings in Italy: State-of-the-art review and applications", Soil Dyn. Earthq. Eng.
- Cutfield, M., Ryan, K. and Ma, Q. (2016), "Comparative life cycle analysis of conventional and base-isolated buildings", Earthq. Spectra, 32(1), 323-343.
- De Domenico, D., Falsone, G. and Ricciardi, G. (2018), "Improved response-spectrum analysis of base-isolated buildings: A substructure-based response spectrum method", Eng. Struct., 162, 198-212.
- Elwood, K.J. (2004), "Modelling failures in existing reinforced concrete columns", Can. J. Civil Eng., 31(5), 846-859.
- FEMA, P-695 (2009), Quantification of Building Seismic Performance Factors, Federal Emergency Management Agency.
- Guerrini, G., Restrepo, J.I. and Schoettler, M.J. (2017), "Selfcentering, low-damage, precast post-tensioned columns for accelerated bridge construction in seismic regions", Proceedings of the 16WCEE. Santiago.
- Hardyniec, A. and Charney, F. (2015), "A new efficient method for determining the collapse margin ratio using parallel computing", Comput. Struct., 148, 14-25.
- Haselton, C.B., Goulet, C.A., Mitrani-Reiser, J., Beck, J.L., Deierlein, G.G., Porter, K.A. and Taciroglu, E. (2008), "An assessment to benchmark the seismic performance of a codeconforming reinforced-concrete moment-frame building", Pacific Earthquake Engineering Research Center, (2007/1).
- He, Z., Wang, Z. and Zhang, Y. (2018), "Collapse safety margin and seismic loss assessment of RC frames with equal material cost", Struct. Des. Tall Spec. Build., 27(1), e1407.
- Hosseini, M. and Farsangi, E.N. (2012), "Telescopic columns as a new base isolation system for vibration control of high-rise buildings", Earthq. Struct., 3(6), 853-867.
- Jordaan, I. (2005), "Decisions under uncertainty: probabilistic analysis for engineering decisions", Cambridge University Press.
- Kageyama, M., Hino, Y. and Moro, S. (2004), "Study on threedimensional seismic isolation system for next generation nuclear power plant: independent cable reinforced rolling-seal air spring", In ASME/JSME 2004 Pressure Vessels and Piping Conference, 49-56, American Society of Mechanical Engineers.
- Gheorghe, A.V., Vamanu, D.V., Katina, P.F. and Pulfer, R. (2017), "Critical Infrastructures, Key Resources, Key Assets: Risk, Vulnerability, Resilience, Fragility, and Perception Governance", (Vol. 34), Springer.
- Kaveh, A., Fahimi-Farzam, M. and Kalateh-Ahani, M. (2015), "Optimum design of steel frame structures considering construction cost and seismic damage", Smart Struct. Syst., 16(1), 1-26.
- Ke, K. and Yam, M.C. (2016), "Energy-factor-based damagecontrol evaluation of steel MRF systems with fuses", Steel Compos. Struct., 22(3), 589-611.
- MacRae, G.A., Clifton, G.C. and Bruneau, M. (2018), "New Zealand Research Applications of, and Developments in, Low Damage Technology for Steel Structures", In Key Engineering Materials, 763, 3-10, Trans Tech Publications.
- Mavronicola, E.A., Polycarpou, P.C. and Komodromos, P. (2017), "Spatial seismic modeling of base-isolated buildings pounding against moat walls: effects of ground motion directionality and mass eccentricity", Earthq. Eng. Struct. D., 46(7), 1161-1179.
- Nazari, F.M. (2018), "Seismic Fragility Assessment for Buildings Due to Earthquake Excitation", Springer.
- Nishitani, A., Matsui, C., Hara, Y., Xiang, P., Nitta, Y., Hatada, T. and Tanii, T. (2015), "Drift displacement data based estimation of cumulative plastic deformation ratios for buildings", Smart Struct. Syst., 15(3), 881-896.
- Oliveira, F., Botto, M.A., Morais, P. and Suleman, A. (2017), "Semi-active structural vibration control of base-isolated buildings using magnetorheological dampers", J. Low Freq. Noise, V. A., 1-12.
- Ozbulut, O.E. and Silwal, B. (2016), "Performance assessment of buildings isolated with S-FBI system under near-fault earthquakes", Smart Struct. Syst., 17(5), 709-724.
- Pacific Earthquake Engineering Research Center (PEER) (2015), "Open System for Earthquake Engineering Simulation (OpenSees)".
- Park, Y.J., Wen, Y.K. and Ang, A.H.S. (1986), "Random vibration of hysteretic systems under bi-directional ground motions", Earthq. Eng. Struct. D., 14(4), 543-557.
- Ryan, K.L., Dao, N., Siavash, S., Manos, M., Eiji, S., Tomohiro, S. and Arash, Z. (2012), "Seismic Interaction of Structural System and Non-structural Components in the NEES. TIPS/NEES Nonstructural/NIED Collaborative Tests at E-Defense", Proceedings of the 2012 ASCE, Structures Congress, Chicago.
- Sarkis, A.I. and Palermo, A. (2018), "Low damage technologies and resilience-based design for concrete bridges: Beyond ductility concepts", In High Tech Concrete: Where Technology and Engineering Meet 2563-2572, Springer, Cham.
- Sato, E., Furukawa, S., Kakehi, A. and Nakashima, M. (2011), "Full-scale shaking table test for examination of safety and functionality of base-isolated medical facilities", Earthq. Eng. Struct. D., 40(13), 1435-1453.
- Shih, M.H., and Sung, W.P. (2005), "A model for hysteretic behavior of rhombic low yield strength steel added damping and stiffness", Comput. Struct., 83(12-13), 895-908.
- Stenswick, L.E. (2015), "Seismic isolation system", U.S. Patent No. 9,222,276. Washington, DC: U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
- Taghavi, S. and Miranda, E. (2003), "Response assessment of nonstructural building elements", Pacific Earthquake Engineering Research Center.
- Tsai, K.C., Chen, H.W., Hong, C.P. and Su, Y.F. (1993), "Design of steel triangular plate energy absorbers for seismic-resistant construction", Earthq. Spectra, 9(3), 505-528.
- Tiong, P.L., Kelly, J.M. and Or, T.T. (2017), "Design approach of high damping rubber bearing for seismic isolation", Smart Struct. Syste., 20(3), 303-309.
- Vamvatsikos, D. and Cornell, C.A. (2002), "Incremental dynamic analysis", Earthq. Eng. Struct. D., 31(3), 491-514.
- Wen, Y. (1976), "Method for random vibration of hysteretic systems", J. Eng. Mech. Div. 102(2), 249-263.
- Williams, M.S. and Sexsmith, R.G. (1995), "Seismic damage indices for concrete structures: a state-of-the-art review", Earthq. Spectra, 11(2), 319-349.
- Yang, T.Y., Konstantinidis, D. and Kelly, J.M. (2010), "The influence of isolator hysteresis on equipment performance in seismic isolated buildings", Earthq. Spectra, 26(1), 275-293.
- Yoo, B., Lee, J.H., Koo, G.H. and Kim, Y.H. (1997), "A study of vertical seismic responses for base isolated PWR using high damping rubber bearing", Proceedings of the 14th Structural Mechanics in Reactor Structures, France.
- Skinner, R.I., Robinson, W.H. and McVerry, G.H. (1993), An introduction to seismic isolation, John Wiley & Sons.
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기