Novel SLC5A2 Mutations and Genetic Characterization in Korean Patients with Familial Renal Glucosuria
Purpose: Familial renal glucosuria (FRG, OMIM #233100) is a rare but relatively benign genetic condition characterized by persistent isolated glucosuria with a normal blood glucose level. We report three additional SLC5A2 mutations and examine their phenotypic and genetic characteristics in a Korean FRG cohort. We also reviewed the literature and summarized the genotypes of all Korean patients with FRG. Methods: A genetic analysis was conducted by directly sequencing all 14 exons of the SLC5A2 gene and their flanking regions in six unrelated Korean children with FRG and their family members. Novel non-synonymous single-nucleotide polymorphisms were identified and compared with known mutations that are repeatedly detected in the Korean population. Results: We found two novel mutations [c.274G>A (G92S) and c.1168C>T (L390F)] and one known [c.1382G>A (S461N)] mutation in each family and one recurrent mutation [c.1346G>A (G449D) (rs768392222)] in two pedigrees. The recurrent G449D was predicted to be "possibly damaging," with a score of 0.883 in Polyphen-2, while G92S, L390F, and S461N were predicted to be "probably damaging," with scores of 1.000, 0.999, and 0.996, respectively. Conclusions: Two novel, one previously reported, and one recurrent mutation were identified in six Korean FRG pedigrees as causative mutations of renal glucosuria. Sequence variations in the SLC5A2 gene were frequently detected in children with persistent isolated glucosuria. A long-term follow-up of this FRG cohort is needed to understand how these specific SGLT2 mutations impair kidney function and energy homeostasis.
- Santer R, Kinner M, Lassen CL, Schneppenheim R, Eggert P, Bald M, et al. Molecular analysis of the SGLT2 gene in patients with renal glucosuria. J Am Soc Nephrol 2003; 14:2873-82.
- Van den Heuvel LP, Assink K, Willemsen M, Monnens L. Autosomal recessive renal glucosuria attributable to a mutation in the sodium glucose cotransporter (SGLT2). Hum Genet 2002;111:544-7.
- Santer R, Calado J. Familial renal glucosuria and SGLT2: from a mendelian trait to a therapeutic target. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 2010;5:133-41.
- Elsas LJ, Rosenberg LE. Familial renal glycosuria: a genetic reappraisal of hexose transport by kidney and intestine. J Clin Invest 1969;48:1845-54.
- Kanai Y, Lee WS, You G, Brown D, Hediger MA. The human kidney low affinity Na+/glucose cotransporter SGLT2. Delineation of the major renal reabsorptive mechanism for D-glucose. J Clin Invest 1994;93:97-404.
- Brown GK. Glucose transporters: structure, function and consequences of deficiency. J Inherit Metab Dis 2000;23:237-46.
- Wright EM. Renal Na(+)-glucose cotransporters. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 2001;280:F10-8.
- Calado J, Loeffler J, Sakallioglu O, Gok F, Lhotta K, Barata J, et al. Familial renal glucosuria: SLC5A2 mutation analysis and evidence of salt-wasting. Kidney Int 2006;69:852-5.
- Calado J, Soto K, Clemente C, Correia P, Rueff J. Novel compound heterozygous mutations in SLC5A2 are responsible for autosomal recessive renal glucosuria. Hum Genet 2004;114:314-6.
- Zhao X, Cui L, Lang Y, Liu T, Lu J, Wang C, et al. A recurrent deletion in the SLC5A2 gene including the intron 7 branch site responsible for familial renal glucosuria. Sci Rep 2016;6:33920.
- Yu L, Xu Q, Hou P, Zhang H. Decreased expression and function of sodium-glucose co-transporter 2 from a novel C-terminal mutation: a case report. BMC Nephrol 2016;17:31.
- Yu L, Hou P, Lv JC, Liu GP, Zhang H. Novel SLC5A2 variants contribute to renal glucosuria in Chinese families: abnormal expression and dysfunction of variant SLC5A2. Hum Mutat 2015;36:79-86.
- Lee YW. Clinical and genetic analysis in a patient with primary renal glucosuria: Identification of a novel mutation in the SLC5A2 gene. Exp Ther Med 2013;6:1532-4.
- Lee H, Han KH, Park HW, Shin JI, Kim CJ, Namgung MK, et al. Familial renal glucosuria: a clinicogenetic study of 23 additional cases. Pediatr Nephrol 2012;27:1091-5.
- Calado J, Sznajer Y, Metzger D, Rita A, Hogan MC, Kattamis A, et al. Twenty-one additional cases of familial renal glucosuria: absence of genetic heterogeneity, high prevalence of private mutations and further evidence of volume depletion. Nephrol Dial Transplant 2008;23:3874-9.
- Scholl-Burgi S, Santer R, Ehrich JH. Long-term outcome of renal glucosuria type 0: the original patient and his natural history. Nephrol Dial Transplant 2004;19:2394-6.
- Schneider D, Gauthier B, Trachtman H. Hypercalciuria in children with renal glycosuria: evidence of dual renal tubular reabsorptive defects. J Pediatr 1992;121:715-9.
- Aires I, Santos AR, Pratas J, Nolasco F, Calado J. Hypouricaemia and hyperuricosuria in familial renal glucosuria. Clin Kidney J 2013;6:523-5.
- Oemar BS, Byrd DJ, Brodel J. Complete absence of tubular glucose reabsorption: a new type of renal glucosuria (type 0). Clin Nephrol 1987;27:156-60.
- Chen LH, Leung PS. Inhibition of the sodium glucose co-transporter-2: its beneficial action and potential combination therapy for type 2 diabetes mellitus. Diabetes Obes Metab 2013;15:392-402.
- Kalra S. Sodium Glucose Co-Transporter-2 (SGLT2) Inhibitors: A Review of Their Basic and Clinical Pharmacology. Diabetes Ther 2014;5:355-66.
- Ottosson-Laakso E, Tuomi T, Forsen B, Gullstrom M, Groop PH, Groop L, et al. Influence of Familial Renal Glycosuria Due to Mutations in the SLC5A2 Gene on Changes in Glucose Tolerance over Time. PLoS One 2016;11:e0146114.
- Yu L, Hou P, Liu GP, Zhang H. Novel SLC5A2 mutation contributes to familial renal glucosuria: Abnormal expression in renal tissues. Exp Ther Med 2016;12:649-52.
- Magen D, Sprecher E, Zelikovic I, Skorecki K. A novel missense mutation in SLC5A2 encoding SGLT2 underlies autosomal-recessive renal glucosuria and aminoaciduria. Kidney Int 2005;67:34-41.
저자의 다른 논문
- 1997 "소아 사구체신염의 임상 및 병리학적 분석" 대한소아신장학회지 = Journal of the Korean society of pediatric nephrology 1 (1): 4~12
- 1998 "사구체신염에서 MIB-1을 이용한 Ki-67 항원의 발현" 대한소아신장학회지 = Journal of the Korean society of pediatric nephrology 2 (2): 104~109
- 1998 "B형 간염 바이러스 감염과 연관된 사구체신염의 임상병리학적 특성과 신 조직내에서 HBs Ag 과 HBe Ag의 발현" 대한소아신장학회지 = Journal of the Korean society of pediatric nephrology 2 (1): 50~59
- 1999 "국소성 분절성 사구체 경화증에 의한 영아형 신증후군 1례" 대한소아신장학회지 = Journal of the Korean society of pediatric nephrology 3 (1): 100~103
- 2001 "소아 비박형 기저막신증의 임상 및 병리학적 분석" 대한소아신장학회지 = Journal of the Korean society of pediatric nephrology 5 (1): 1~8
- 2001 "IgA 신병증과 비박형 기저막 신증의 임상 및 병리학적 비교 분석 - 사구체 기저막의 비박화를 중심으로 -" 대한소아신장학회지 = Journal of the Korean society of pediatric nephrology 5 (2): 147~155
- 2002 "신증후군의 최신 지견" 대한소아신장학회지 = Journal of the Korean society of pediatric nephrology 6 (1): 15~24
- 2002 "소아기 류마티스 관절염 환아에서 발생한 이차성 신유전분증 1 례" 대한소아신장학회지 = Journal of the Korean society of pediatric nephrology 6 (2): 243~250
- 2002 "Henoch-Schonlein Purpura 신염에서 안지오텐신 전환효소 유전자 다형성의 영향" 소아과 = Journal of the Korean pediatric society 45 (7): 884~890
- 2002 "Turner 증후군 환자에서 신기형에 관한 연구" 소아과 = Journal of the Korean pediatric society 45 (7): 891~895
- 원문이 없습니다.
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기