Immediate and long-term effects of lime and wheat straw on consistency characteristics of clayey soil
Clayey soils with swelling and shrinkage characteristics have been major causes for many problems in roads, buildings and other civil engineering infrastructure in various areas of Pakistan, particularly where there are several patches of such soils on either side of Indus River. As the consistency characteristics are directly related with the variation of moisture content; therefore, this study was explicitly focused to investigate the effect of lime and wheat straw on the consistency characteristics of clayey soils with relatively high swelling and shrinkage characteristics. The consistency test results indicate that by the increase in lime content there is a decrease in the plasticity index of soil; for instance, 10% lime content resulted to 59% decrease in the plasticity index value. On the other hand; the addition of wheat straw resulted in a significant increase in the plasticity index; for instance, 10% wheat straw content resulted to a 120% increase in the plasticity index. This study has further shown that the shrinkage and swelling of clayey soils which resulting to several problems in the civil engineering infrastructures may adequately be managed through mixing an appropriate amount of lime and wheat straw as soil stabilizing agent for both immediate and long-term effects.
- Achampong, F., Anum, R.A. and Boadu, F. (2013), "Effect of lime on plasticity, compaction and compressive strength characteristics of synthetic Low Cohesive (CL) and High Cohesive (CH) clayey soils", Int. J. Sci. Eng. Res., 4.
- Al-Mukhtar, M., Khattab, S. and Alcover, J.F. (2012), "Microstructure and geotechnical properties of lime-treated expansive clayey soil", Eng. Geol., 139, 17-27.
- Al-Swaidani, A., Hammoud, I. and Meziab, A. (2016), "Effect of adding natural pozzolana on geotechnical properties of lime-stabilized clayey soil", J. Rock Mech. Geotech. Eng., 8(5), 714-725.
- Alhassan, M. (2008), "The permeability of lateritic soil treated with lime and rice husk ash", Assumption Univ. J. Thailand, 12(2), 115-120.
- Ali, M. (2011), "Coconut fibre: A versatile material and its applications in engineering", J. Civ. Eng. Construct. Technol., 2(9), 189-197.
- Ashour, T. and Wu, W. (2010), "An experimental study on shrinkage of earth plaster with natural fibres for straw bale buildings", Int. J. Sustain. Eng., 3(4), 299-304.
- Ashour, T., Bahnasawey, A. and Wu, W. (2010), "The compressive strength of fibre reinforced earth plasters for straw bale buildings", Aust. J. Agr. Eng., 1(3), 86.
- Ashurst, J. and Ashurst, N. (1988), Practical Building Conservation, Vol. 3 Mortars, Plasters and Renders, Gower Technical Press.
- ASTM Committee D-18 on Soil and Rock (2000), Standard Test Methods for the Liquid Limit, Plastic Limit, and Plasticity Index of Soils, ASTM International, West Conshohocken, Pennsylvania, U.S.A.
- Basha, E., Hashim, R., Mahmud, H. and Muntohar, A. (2005), "Stabilization of residual soil with rice husk ash and cement", Construct. Build. Mater., 19(6), 448-453.
- Basma, A.A. and Tuncer, E.R. (1991), Effect of Lime on Volume Change and Compressibility of Expansive Clays, Transportation Research Record 1295.
- Bayat, M., Asgari, M. and Mousivand, M. (2013), "Effects of cement and lime treatment on geotechnical properties of a low plasticity clay", Proceedings of the International Conference on Civil Engineering Architecture and Urban Sustainable Development, Tabriz, Iran, December.
- Bell, F. (1996), "Lime stabilization of clay minerals and soils", Eng. Geol., 42(4), 223-237.
- Blackburn, R.S. (2005), Biodegradable and Sustainable Fibres, Taylor & Francis, U.S.A.
- Bouasker, M., Belayachi, N., Hoxha, D. and Al-Mukhtar, M. (2014), "Physical characterization of natural straw fibres as aggregates for construction materials applications", Materials, 7(4), 3034-3048.
- Bourokba Mrabent, S. A., Hachichi, A., Souli, H., Taibi, S. and Fleureau, J.M. (2017), "Effect of lime on some physical parameters of a natural expansive clay from Algeria", Eur. J. Environ. Civ. Eng., 21(1), 108-125.
- Cai, Y., Shi, B., Ng, C.W. and Tang, C.S. (2006), "Effect of polypropylene fibre and lime admixture on engineering properties of clayey soil", Eng. Geol., 87(3), 230-240.
- Chebbi, M., Guiras, H. and Jamei, M. (2017), "Tensile behaviour analysis of compacted clayey soil reinforced with natural and synthetic fibres: Effect of initial compaction conditions", Eur. J. Environ. Civ. Eng., 1-27.
- Choobbasti, A., Ghodrat, H., Vahdatirad, M., Firouzian, S., Barari, A., Torabi, M. and Bagherian, A. (2010), "Influence of using rice husk ash in soil stabilization method with lime", Front. Earth Sci. China, 4(4), 471-480.
- Dash, S.K. and Hussain, M. (2015), "Influence of lime on shrinkage behaviour of soils", J. Mater. Civ. Eng., 27(12), 04015041.
- Dixit, A., Nigam, M. and Mishra, R. (2016), "Effect of fly ash on geotechnical properties of soil", Int. J. Eng. Technol. Manage. Res., 3(5), 7-14.
- El Sharif, M.A., Taha, Y.K., Kenawi, M.A. and Kamel, A.O. (2013), "Treatment of expansive soil with chemical additives", J. Eng. Sci., 41(5), 1765 - 1777.
- Gaw, B. and Zamora, S. (2011), Soil Reinforcement with Natural Fibres for Low-income Housing Communities, A Major Qualifying Project LDA-1006 and MT-1003, Faculty of Worcester Polytechnic Institute.
- Gharib, M., Saba, H. and Barazesh, A. (2012a), "The effect of additives on clay soil properties using cement and lime", Int. J. Basic Sci. Appl. Res., 1(3), 66-78.
- Gharib, M., Saba, H. and Barazesh, A. (2012b), "An experimental study for identification and comparison of the plastic index and shrinkage properties of clay soils with the addition of cement", Eur. J. Exp. Biol., 2(4), 1034-1038.
- Giosan, L., Constantinescu, S., Clift, P.D., Tabrez, A.R., Danish, M. and Inam, A. (2006), "Recent morphodynamics of the Indus delta shore and shelf", Continent. Shelf Res., 26(14), 1668-1684.
- Greaves, H. (1996), "An introduction to lime stabilization", Proceedings of the Seminar on Lime Stabilization.
- Gringarten, A., Ramey Jr, H. and Raghavan, R. (1975), "Applied pressure analysis for fractured wells", J. Petrol. Technol., 27(7), 887-892.
- Gullu, H. and Khudir, A. (2014), "Effect of freeze-thaw cycles on the unconfined compressive strength of fine-grained soil treated with jute fibre, steel fibre and lime", Cold Reg. Sci. Technol., 106, 55-65.
- Harichane, K., Ghrici, M., Kenai, S. and Grine, K. (2011), "Use of natural pozzolana and lime for stabilization of cohesive soils", Geotech. Geol. Eng., 29(5), 759-769.
- Kalantari, B., Prasad, A. and Huat, B.B. (2010), "Peat stabilization using cement, polypropylene and steel fibres", Geomech. Eng., 2(4), 321-335.
- Kalyanshetti, M.G. and Thalange, S.B. (2013), "Effect of fly ash on the properties of expansive soil", Contributory Papers, 35.
- Kavak, A. and Akyarli, A. (2007), "A field application for lime stabilization", Environ. Geol., 51(6), 987-997.
- Lekha, B., Goutham, S. and Shankar, A. (2015), "Evaluation of lateritic soil stabilized with Arecanut coir for low volume pavements", Transport. Geotech., 2, 20-29.
- Millogo, Y., Morel, J.C., Aubert, J.E. and Ghavami, K. (2014), "Experimental analysis of pressed adobe blocks reinforced with Hibiscus cannabinus fibres", Construct. Build. Mater., 52, 71-78.
- Moreno-Maroto, J.M. and Alonso-Azcarate, J. (2015), "An accurate, quick and simple method to determine the plastic limit and consistency changes in all types of clay and soil: The thread bending test", Appl. Clay Sci., 114, 497-508.
- Naranagowda, M., Kumar, R.P., Prasad, R.K., Mahesha, N. and Sashidhar, K. (2016), "Effect of polypropylene fibre on stability of expansive soil", Int. J. Eng. Res., 5(8), 651-653.
- Okafor, F.O. and Okonkwo, U.N. (2009), "Effects of rice husk ash on some geotechnical properties of lateritic soil", Niger. J. Technol., 28(1), 46-52.
- Quagliarini, E. and Lenci, S. (2010), "The influence of natural stabilizers and natural fibres on the mechanical properties of ancient Roman adobe bricks", J. Cult. Heritage, 11(3), 309-314.
- Qureshi, A.S., McCornick, P.G., Qadir, M. and Aslam, Z. (2008), "Managing salinity and waterlogging in the Indus Basin of Pakistan", Agr. Water Manage., 95(1), 1-10.
- Rahman, M.A. (1986), "The potentials of some stabilizers for the use of lateritic soil in construction", Build. Environ., 21(1), 57-61.
- Ramesh, H., Manoj, K. and Mamatha, H. (2010), "Compaction and strength behaviour of lime-coir fibre treated Black Cotton soil", Geomech. Eng., 2(1), 19-28.
- Rao, D.K., Rao, G.R. and Pranav, P. (2012), "A laboratory study on the effect of rice husk ash & lime on the properties of marine clay", Int. J. Eng. Innov. Technol., 2(1), 345-353.
- Rathan Raj, R., Banupriya, S. and Dharani, R. (2016), "Stabilization of soil using rice husk ash", Int. J. Comput. Eng. Res., 6(2), 43-50.
- Sharma, V., Vinayak, H.K. and Marwaha, B.M. (2015), "Enhancing compressive strength of soil using natural fibres", Construct. Build. Mater., 93, 943-949.
- Sharp, K.D. (1993), "Fly ash for soil improvement", Proceedings of the Annual Convention and Exposition, Dallas, Texas, U.S.A., October.
- Sherwood, P. (1993), Soil Stabilization with Cement and Lime, Her Majesty Stationary Office, London, U.K.
- Siddique, A. and Hossain, M.A. (2011), "Effects of lime stabilisation on engineering properties of an expansive soil for use in road construction", J. Soc. Transp. Traffic Stud., 1(4), 1-9.
- Sivakumar Babu, G., Vasudevan, A. and Sayida, M. (2008), "Use of coir fibres for improving the engineering properties of expansive soils", J. Nat. Fibers, 5(1), 61-75.
- Soganci, A.S. (2015), "The effect of polypropylene fiber in the stabilization of expansive soils", World Acad. Sci. Eng. Technol. Int. J. Environ. Chem. Ecol. Geol. Geophys. Eng., 9(8), 994-997.
- Tuncer, E.R. and Basma, A.A. (1991), Strength and Stress-strain Characteristics of a Lime-treated Cohesive Soil, Transportation Research Record, (1295).
- Vishnudas, S., Savenije, H., Van der Zaag, P., Anil, K. and Balan, K. (2006), "The protective and attractive covering of a vegetated embankment using coir geotextiles", Hydrol. Earth Syst. Sci. Discuss., 10(4), 565-574.
- Witherspoon, P.A., Wang, J.S., Iwai, K. and Gale, J.E. (1980), "The validity of cubic law for fluid flow in a deformable rock fracture", Water Resour. Res., 16(6), 1016-1024.
- Yetimoglu, T. and Salbas, O. (2003), "A study on the shear strength of sands reinforced with randomly distributed discrete fibres", Geotext. Geomembr., 21(2), 103-110.
- Yong, R.N. and Ouhadi, V.R. (2007), "Experimental study on the instability of bases on natural and lime/cement-stabilized clayey soils", Appl. Clay Sci., 35(3), 238-249.
- Zhang, J. and Xing, C. (2002), "Stabilization of expansive soil by lime and fly ash", J. Wuhan Univ. Technol. Mater. Sci. Ed., 17(4), 73-77.
- Zhang, M.Q., Rong, M.Z. and Lu, X. (2005), "Fully biodegradable natural fibre composites from renewable resources: All-plant fibre composites", Compos. Sci. Technol., 65(15), 2514-2525.
- Zong, Y., Chen, D. and Lu, S. (2014), "Impact of biochars on swell-shrinkage behaviour, mechanical strength, and surface cracking of clayey soil", J. Plant Nutr. Soil Sci., 177(6), 920-926.
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기