Enhancement of Signal-to-noise Ratio Based on Multiplication Function for Phi-OTDR
We propose a novel methodology based on the multiplication function to improve the signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) for vibration detection in a phi optical time-domain reflectometer system (phi-OTDR). The extreme-mean complementary empirical mode decomposition (ECEMD) is designed to break down the original signal into a set of inherent mode functions (IMFs). The multiplication function in terms of selected IMFs is used to determine a vibration's position. By this method, the SNR of a phi-OTDR system is enhanced by several orders of magnitude. Simulations and experiments applying the method to real data prove the validity of the proposed approach.
- C. Pan, X. Liu, H. Zhu, X. Shan, and X. Sun, "Distributed optical fiber vibration sensor based on Sagnac interference in conjunction with OTDR," Opt. Express 25, 20056-20070 (2017).
- J. Tejedor, H. F. Martins, D. Piote, J. Macias-Guarasa, J. Pastor-Graells, S. Martin-Lopez, P. C. Guillen, F. DeSmet, W. Postvoll, and M. Gonzalez-Herraez, "Toward prevention of pipeline integrity threats using a smart fiber-optic surveillance system," J. Lightw. Technol. 34, 4445-4453 (2016).
- S. Xie, Q. Zou, L. Wang, M. Zhang, Y. Li, and Y. Liao, "Positioning error prediction theory for dual Mach-Zehnder interferometric vibration sensor," J. Lightw. Technol. 29, 362-368 (2011).
- Z. J. Yu, Y. Lu, X. Y. Hu, and Z. Meng, "Polarization dependence of the noise of phase measurement based on phasesensitive OTDR," J. Opt. 19, 125602 (2017).
- X. Zhang, T. Liu, K. Liu, J. Jiang, Z. Ding, and Q. Chen, "Reducing location error and processing time of dual Mach-Zehnder interferometric fiber perturbation sensor using zero-crossing analysis," in Proc. SPIE 8421, 8421A8 (2012).
- Q. Sun, H. Feng, X. Yan, and Z. Zeng, "Recognition of a phase-sensitivity OTDR sensing system based on morphologic feature extraction," Sensors (Basel) 15, 15179-15197 (2015).
- F. Peng, N. Duan, Y. Rao, and J. Li, "Real-time position and speed monitoring of trains using phase-sensitive OTDR," IEEE Photon. Technol. Lett. 26, 2055-2057 (2014).
- J. P. Dakin, D. A. J. Pearce, A. P. Strong, and C. A. Wade, "A novel distributed optical fibre sensing system enabling location of disturbances in a sagnac loop interferometer," Proc. SPIE 0838, 325-328.
- Q. Z. Sun, D. M. Liu, J. Wang, and H. R. Liu, "Distributed fiber-optic vibration sensor using a ring Mach-Zehnder interferometer," Opt. Commun. 281, 1538-1544 (2008).
- L. B. Yuan, and F. Ansari, "White-light interferometric fiber-optic distributed strain-sensing system," Sens. Actuators A, 63, 177-181 (1997).
- X. B. Hong, J. Wu, C. Zuo, F. S. Liu, H. X. Guo, and K. Xu, "Dual Michelson interferometers for distributed vibration detection," Appl. Opt. 50, 4333-4338 (2011).
- E. Patrick, L. Matthieu, and J. Zhang, "Photon counting OTDR: advantages and limitations," J. Lightw. Technol. 28, 952-964(2010).
H. Wu, S. Xiao, and X. Li, "Separation and determination of the disturbing signals in phase-sensitive optical time domain reflectometry (
$\phi$-OTDR)," J. Lightw. Technol. 33, 3156-3162 (2015).
- T. Zhu, Q. He, X. Xiao, and X. Bao, "Modulated pulses based distributed vibration sensing with high frequency response and spatial resolution," Opt. Express 21, 2953-2963 (2013).
X. Mei, F. Pang, H. Liu, G. Yu, Y. Shao, T. Qian, C. Mou, L. Lv, and T. Wang, "Fast coarse-fine locating method for
$\phi$-OTDR," Opt. Express 26, 2659-2667 (2018)
- Z. Zhang, and X. Bao, "Distributed optical fiber vibration sensor based on spectrum analysis of Polarization-OTDR system," Opt. Express 16, 10240-10247 (2008).
- A. Li, Y. Wang, and Q. Hu, "Measurement of distributed mode coupling in a few-mode fiber using a reconfigurable Brillouin OTDR," Opt. Lett. 39, 6418-6421(2014).
- J. C. Juarez, E. W. Maier, K. N. Choi, and H. F. Taylor, "Distributed fiber-optic vibration sensor system," J. Lightw. Technol. 23, 2081-2087 (2005).
- X. Bao and L. Chen, "Recent progress in distributed fiber optic sensors," Sensors (Basel) 12, 8601-8639 (2012).
- X. Fan, G. Yang, S. Wang, Q. Liu, and Z. He, "Distributed fiber-optic vibration sensing based on phase extraction from optical reflectometry," J. Lightw. Technol. 35, 3281-3288 (2017).
F. Peng, H. Wu, X.-H. Jia, Y.-J. Rao, Z.-N. Wang, and Z.-P. Peng, "Ultra-long high-sensitivity
$\phi$-OTDR for high spatial resolution vibration detection of pipelines," Opt. Express 22, 13804-13810 (2014).
- H. He, L. Shao, B. Luo, Z. Li, X. Zou, Z. Zhang, W. Pan, and L. Yan, "Multiple vibrations measurement using phase-sensitive OTDR merged with Mach-Zehnder interferometer based on frequency division multiplexing," Opt. Express 24, 4842-4855 (2016).
X. Zhang, Z. Sun, Y. Shan, Y. Li, F. Wang, J. Zeng, and Y. Zhang, "A high performance distributed optical fiber sensor based on
$\phi$-OTDR for dynamic strain measurement," IEEE Photon. J. 9, 1-12 (2017).
- Y. Kopsinis and S. McLaughlin, "Development of EMD-based denoising methods inspired by wavelet thresholding," IEEE Trans. Signal Process. 57, 1351-1362 (2009).
- G. Tu, X. Zhang, Y. Zhang, F. Zhu, L. Xia, and B. Nakarmi, "The development of an phi-OTDR system for quantitative vibration measurement," IEEE Photon. Technol. Lett. 27, 1349-1352 (2015).
Z. Wang, L. Zhang, S. Wang, N. Xue, F. Peng, M. Fan, W. Sun, X. Qian, J. Rao, and Y. Rao, "Coherent
$\phi$-OTDR based on I/Q demodulation and homodyne detection," Opt. Express 24, 853-858 (2016).
- H. He, L. Y. Shao, Z. Li, Z. Zhang, X. Zou, B. Luo, W. Pan, and L. Yan, "Self-mixing demodulation for coherent phase-sensitive OTDR system," Sensors (Basel) 16, 681 (2016).
- Y. Dong, X. Chen, E. Liu, C. Fu, H. Zhang, and Z. Lu, "Quantitative measurement of dynamic nanostrain based on a phase-sensitive optical time domain reflectometer," Appl. Opt. 55, 7810-7815 (2016).
- H. F. Martins, S. Martin-Lopez, P. Corredera, M. L. Filograno, O. Frazao, and M. Gonzalez-Herraez, "Phase-sensitive optical time domain reflectometer assisted by first-order raman amplification for distributed vibration sensing over >100 km," J. Lightw. Technol. 8, 1510-1518 (2014).
- B. Lu, Z. Pan, Z. Wang, H. Zheng, Q. Ye, R. Qu, and H. Cai, "High spatial resolution phase-sensitive optical time domain reflectometer with a frequency-swept pulse," Opt. Lett. 42, 391-394 (2017).
- Y. Lu, T. Zhu, L. Chen, and X. Bao, "Distributed vibration sensor based on coherent detection of phase-OTDR," J. Lightw. Technol. 28, 3243-3249 (2010).
- Z. Qin, L. Chen, and X. Bao, "Continuous wavelet transform for non-stationary vibration detection with phase-OTDR," Opt. Express 20, 20459-20465 (2012).
H. Wu, S. Xiao, X. Li, Z. Wang, J. Xu, and Y. Rao, "Separation and determination of the disturbing signals in phase-sensitive optical time domain reflectometry (
$\phi$-OTDR)," J. Lightw. Technol. 33, 3156-3162 (2015).
- Z. Pan, K. Liang, Q. Ye, H. Cai, R. Qu, and Z. Fang, "Phase-sensitive OTDR system based on digital coherent detection," in Proc. Asia Communications and Photonics Conference and Exhibition (China, Nov. 2011), 83110S.
- H. He, L. Shao, H. Li, W. Pan, B. Luo, X. Zou, and L. Yan, "SNR enhancement in phase-sensitive OTDR with adaptive 2-D Bilateral filtering algorithm," IEEE Photon. J. 9, 1-10 (2017).
- J. H. Zhang, Y. C. Han, L. Z. Li, J. Liu, and B. Che, "An improved EMD time-frequency analysis method for rocket vibration signal," in Proc Chinese Guidance, Navigation and Control Conference (China, Aug. 2014), pp. 1842-1846.
- H. Deng, J. G. Liu, and Z. Chen, "Infrared small target detection based on modified local entropy and EMD," Chi. Opt. Lett. 8, 24-28 (2010).
- K. Liu, M. Tian, J. F. Jiang, J. C. An, and T. H. Xu "An improved positioning algorithm in a long-range asymmetric perimeter security system," J. Lightw. Technol. 34, 5278-5283 (2016).
- N. E. Hang, Z. Shen, S. R. Long, and M. C. Wu, "The empirical mode decomposition and the Hilbert spectrum for nonlinear and non-stationary time series analysis," Proc. R. Soc. London, Ser. A 454, 903-995 (1998).
- A. Liao, C. Shen, and P. C. Li, "Potential contrast improvement in ultrasound pulse inversion imaging using EMD and EEMD," IEEE Trans. Ultrason. Ferroelectr. Freq. Control 57, 317-326 (2010).
- S. D. Hawley, L. E. Atlas, and H. J. Chizeck, "Some properties of an empirical mode type signal decomposition algorithm," IEEE Signal Process. Lett. 17, 24-27 (2010).
- 원문이 없습니다.
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기