Bilateral Osteoarthritis of Coxofemoral Joint in a Thoroughbred Horse
A 3-year-old black Thoroughbred colt weighing 500 kg was admitted to the Equine Hospital of Korea Racing Authority (KRA) due to the chronic gait abnormality of the hindlimbs. The history revealed that the patient had run and fallen onto the fence of the farm about at the age of 1 year old and the lameness had been worsening insidiously since the accident. The degree of lameness was 2/5 in accordance with the AAEP lameness grading system in both hindlimbs at hand walking and trot. The lameness was exacerbated at lunging clockwise and counterclockwise on both hindlimbs. The definitive diagnosis of the bilateral osteoarthritis of coxofemoral joint was established using radiography under general inhalation anesthesia. The prognosis was considered to be poor with low expectancy for racing and the colt was expelled from the racecourse eventually. The clinicians are required to consider the possibility of osteoarthritis of coxofemoral joint presented with chronic hindlimb lameness although it is rare. This is the first report on the bilateral osteoarthritis coxofemoral joint in Republic of Korea.
- Jogi P and Norbery I. Malformation of the hip-joint in a Standardbred horse. Vet Rec 1962; 74: 421-422.
- Kidd JA, Fuller C and Barr ARS. Osteoarthritis in the horse. Equine Vet Educ 2001; 13: 160-168.
- May SA, Patterson LJ, Peacock PJ and Edwards GB. Radiographic technique for the pelvis in the standing horse. Equine Vet J 1991; 23: 312-314.
- McIlwraith CW. General pathobiology of the joint and reponse to injury. In: Joint Disease in the Horse, 1st ed. Philadelphia: Saunders Co. 1996: 40-70.
- McIlwraith CW. Current concepts in equine degenerative joint disease. J Am Vet Med Assoc 1982; 180: 239-250.
- Radin EL, Burr DB, Caterson B, Fyhrie D, Brown TD and Boyd R. Mechanical determinants of osteoarthrosis. Semin Arthritis Rheum 1991; 21: 12-21.
- Speirs VC and Wrigley R. A case of bilateral hip dysplasia in a foal. Equine Vet J 1979; 11: 202-204.
- Stashak TS. Lameness Part XIV: The coxofemoral joint. In: Adams' Lameness in Horses, 5th ed.Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. 2002: 1037-1043.
- Trent AM and Krook L. Bilateral degenerative coxofemoral joint disease in a foal. J Am Vet Med Assoc 1985; 186: 284-287.
- Widmer WR and Blevins WE. Radiographic evaluation of degenerative joint disease in horses-Interpretive principles. Compend Cont Educ Pract Vet 1994; 16: 907-919.
- Woodford NS, Puzio J and Parker RD. Idiopathic infectious arthritis of the coxofemoral joint in a mature horse. Equine Vet Educ 2017; 29: 544-548.
- Amitrano FN, Gutierrez-Nibeyro SD and Joslyn SK. Radiographic diagnosis of craniodorsal coxofemoral luxation in standing equids. Equine Vet Educ 2014; 26: 255-258.
- Clegg PD. Idiopathic infective arthritis of the coxofemoral joint in a mature horse. Vet Rec 1995; 137: 460-464.
- Haakenstad LH. Undersokelser over den pathologiske hofteleddluk-sasjon hos hest med hensyn til lidelsens vesen og etiologiske forhold. Nord Vet Med 1953; 5: 884-896.
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기