The Expressional Pattern of Epididymal Protease Inhibitor (EPPIN) in the Male Syrian Hamsters
The spermatogenesis is the process by which spermatozoa are generated in the testes. The spermatozoa travel male reproductive tract during which they meet many substances secreted from reproductive organs. One of the substances is epididymal protease inhibitor (EPPIN) that is involved in the post-testicular maturation including capability of fertilizing the eggs. The expression of EPPIN gene was investigated in various tissues of sexually mature and regressed male Syrian hamsters by reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR). The EPPIN gene was identified in the testis and epididymis of the male Syrian hamsters and compared to the genes reported previously. There was no expression of EPPIN gene in reproductively and completely regressed testes of Syrian hamster. These results suggest that the expressions of the EPPIN gene are associated with the reproductive capability in the Syrian hamsters.
- Bian ZH, Zhang J, Ding XL, Zhang B, Wang ZJ, Lu CC, Song L, Wang SL, Wang XR (2009) Localization of epididymal protease inhibitor in adult rat and its transcription profile in testis during postnatal development. Asian J Androl 11:731-739.
- Choi D (2013a) Potency of melatonin in living beings. Dev Reprod 17:149-177.
- Choi D (2013b) Continuous melatonin attenuates the regressing activities of short photoperiod in male golden hamsters. Dev Reprod 17:111-119.
- Choi D, Han EH (2010) The impacts of photoperiods on hypothalamic proteins in the reproductive activities of golden hamsters. Dev Reprod 14:185-197.
- Choi D, Lee SH (2012) Neuroendocrine system in seasonal breeder: Focusing on the reproductive activity of male golden hamster. Dev Reprod 16:1-8.
- Clauss A, Lilja H, Lundwall A (2002) A locus on human chromosome 20 contains several genes expressing protease inhibitor domains with homology to whey acidic protein. Biochem J 368:233-242.
- Cohen DJ, Ellerman DA, Busso D, Morgenfeld MM, Piazza AD, Hayashi M, Young ET, Kasahara M, Cuasnicu PS (2001) Evidence that human epididymal protein ARP plays a role in gamete fusion through complementary sites on the surface of the human egg. Biol Reprod 65:1000-1005.
- Dacheux JL, Gatti JL, Dacheux F (2003) Contribution of epididymal secretory proteins for spermatozoa maturation. Microsc Res Tech 61:7-17.
- Ding X, Zhang J, Fei J, Bian Z, Li Y, Xia Y, Lu C, Song L, Wang S, Wang X (2010) Variants of the EPPIN gene affect the risk of idiopathic male infertility in the Han-Chinese population. Hum Reprod 25:1657-1665.
- Du Plessis SS, Gokul S, Agarwal A (2013) Semen hyperviscosity:Causes, consequences, and cures. Front Biosci Elite Ed 5:224-231.
- Emami N, Scorilas A, Soosaipillai A, Earle T, Mullen B, Diamandis EP (2009) Association between kallikreinrelated peptidases (KLKs) and macroscopic indicators of semen analysis: Their relation to sperm motility. Biol Chem 390:921-929.
- Esfandiari N, Burjaq H, Gotlieb L, Casper RF (2008) Seminal hyperviscosity is associated with poor outcome of in vitro fertilization and embryo transfer: A prospective study. Fertil Steril 90:1739-1743.
- Jalkanen J, Kotimaki M, Huhtaniemi I, Poutanen M (2006) Novel epididymal protease inhibitors with Kazal or WAP family domain. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 349:245-254.
- Mitra A, Richardson RT, O'Rand MG (2010) Analysis of recombinant human semenogelin as an inhibitor of human sperm motility. Biol Reprod 82:489-496.
- Nixon B, MacIntyre DA, Mitchell LA, Gibbs GM, O'Bryan M, Aitken RJ (2006) The identification of mouse sperm-surface associated proteins and characterization of their ability to act as decapacitation factors. Biol Reprod 74:275-287.
- O'Rand MG, Hamil KG, Adevai T, Zelinski M (2018) Inhibition of sperm motility in male macaques with EP055, a potential non-hormonal male contraceptive. PLoS ONE 13:e0195953.
- O'Rand MG, Silva EJR, Hamil KG (2016) Non-hormonal male contraception: A review and development of an Eppin based contraceptive. Pharmacol Ther 157:105-111.
- O'Rand MG, Widgren EE, Beyler S, Richardson RT (2009) Inhibition of human sperm motility by contraceptive anti-Eppin antibodies from infertile male monkeys: Effect on cyclic adenosine monophosphate. Biol Reprod 80:279-285.
- O'Rand MG, Widgren EE, Hamil KG, Silva EJ, Richardson RT (2011) Epididymal protein targets: A brief history of the development of epididymal protease inhibitor as a contraceptive. J Androl 32:698-704.
- O'Rand MG, Widgren EE, Sivashanmugam P, Richardson RT, Hall SH, French FS, VandeVoort CA, Ramachandra SG, Ramesh V, Jagannadha Rao A (2004) Reversible immunocontraception in male monkeys immunized with Eppin. Science 306:1189-1190.
- O'Rand MG, Widgren EE, Wang Z, Richardson RT (2006) Eppin: An effective target for male contraception. Mol Cell Endocrinol 250:157-162.
- Paasch U, Heidenreich F, Pursche T, Kuhlisch E, Kettner K, Grunewald S, Kratzsch J, Dittmar G, Glander HJ, Hoflack B, Kriegel TM (2011) Identification of increased amounts of eppin protein complex components in sperm cells of diabetic and obese individuals by difference gel electrophoresis. Mol Cell Proteomics 10:M110.007187.
- Reiter RJ (1980) Photoperiod: Its importance as an impeller of pineal and seasonal reproductive rhythms. Int J Biometeorol 24:57-63.
- Richardson RT, Sivashanmugam P, Hall SH, Hamil KG, Moore PA, Ruben SM, French FS, O'Rand M (2001) Cloning and sequencing of human Eppin: A novel family of protease inhibitors expressed in the epididymis and testis. Gene 270:93-102.
- Silva EJR, Hamil KG, O'Rand MG (2013) Interacting proteins on human spermatozoa: Adaptive evolution of the binding of smenogelin I to EPPIN. PLoS ONE 8:e82014.
- Sivashanmugam P, Hall SH, Hamil KG, French FS, O'Rand MG, Richardson RT (2003) Characterization of mouse Eppin and a gene cluster of similar protease inhibitors on mouse chromosome 2. Gene 312:125-134.
- Stetson MH, Watson-Whitmyre M (1984) Physiology of the pineal and its hormone melatonin in annual reproduction in rodents. In: Reiter RJ (ed), The Pineal Gland, Raven Press, New York, pp 109-153.
- Stetson MH, Watson-Whitmyre M (1986) Effects of exogenous and endogenous melatonin on gonadal function in hamsters. J Neural Transm 21(Suppl):55-80.
- Wang Z, Widgren EE, Sivashanmugam P, O'Rand MG, Richardson RT (2005) Association of Eppin with semenogelin on human spermatozoa. Biol Reprod 72:1064-1070.
- Yenugu S, Richardson RT, Sivashanmugam P, Wang Z, O'Rand MG, French FS, Hall SH (2004) Antimicrobial activity of human EPPIN, an androgen-regulated, spermbound protein with a whey acidic protein motif. Biol Reprod 71:1484-1490.
- Zhang X, Fang J, Xu B, Zhang S, Su S, Song Z, Deng Y, Wang H, Zhao D, Niu X, Wang Z (2013) Correlation of epididymal protease inhibitor and fibronectin in human semen. PLoS ONE 8:e82600.
- NDSL :
- PubMed Central : 저널
- KCI :
유료 다운로드의 경우 해당 사이트의 정책에 따라 신규 회원가입, 로그인, 유료 구매 등이 필요할 수 있습니다. 해당 사이트에서 발생하는 귀하의 모든 정보활동은 NDSL의 서비스 정책과 무관합니다.
원문복사신청을 하시면, 일부 해외 인쇄학술지의 경우 외국학술지지원센터(FRIC)에서
무료 원문복사 서비스를 제공합니다.
NDSL에서는 해당 원문을 복사서비스하고 있습니다. 위의 원문복사신청 또는 장바구니 담기를 통하여 원문복사서비스 이용이 가능합니다.
- 이 논문과 함께 출판된 논문 + 더보기